UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Guest Michael Colquhoun

Japanese Nightingale

Guest Michael Colquhoun

A Japanese Nightingale has turned up in Herefordshire (I am the county recorder), and we would like to know if anyone does keep this species in the UK, and if there is any way that we could find out if someone had lost one.

I think it unlikely that it is a wild bird, but you never know.
Many thanks,

Michael Colquhoun, Recorder for Herefordshire.
mickcolquhoun@gmail.com

Hi,   I think the odds are it has escaped from an aviary or birdroom. There is established wild flocks in l believe a part of North Eastern France but I doubt very much an odd bird would make the journey to the UK. James.

most prob a escaped from a aviary .i lost a virginian cardinal  back in the summer it was seen nr. swansea for weeks after if any one has seen it in the last weeks   or 2

why do you think   the are japanese  nightingals   pekin  robins are liveing wild in north east france  . pekin robins are called pekin nightingals by some

Hi, Brian,.  The Pekin Robin, was one of many species of bird that man in his wisdom or lack of, decided to try and introduce to Europe, obviously it's attractive colours and lovely song were appealing, most attempts did not materialise, but a few areas in France, Spain and Tuscany in Italy were successful and small flocks still live and breed there. This species has several names the Red-billed Leiothrix regarded as its official name, other are the Pekin Robin, Pekin nightingale, Japanese nightingale and Chinese nightingale, I dare say  Pekin Robin is easier to remember, the other names relate to the eastern areas of origin, Nightingale for its song I presume. Hope that helps explain.    James.

that's interesting as I was not aware Pekin Robins were sometimes called nightingales  & there is a 2nd species called the Japanese-- nightingale Japanese bush warbler (Horornis diphone), I've emailed Mick for clarification 

Guest Mick Colquhoun

Many thanks to everyone for all your input. The bird is the Red-billed Leiothrix and I managed to photograph it today. It has  violet ring on its right leg and by taking many pictures from different angles it seems to have a number 402BOE. I wonder if this can help shed some light on its possible origin.

_DSC6937_00001.jpg

Hi, the Red billed Ieiothrix ( Pekin Robln ) has two close relations,  the Silver eared Mesia, which has about five sub species and the Sumatran Mesia,  the Silver eared Mesia is being successfully bred in the UK by a few fanciers. James.

Hi Colin, did not se any problem adding a bit of information regarding the species as it was obvious name clarification had some doubts. It will not stop anyone claiming it is their bird.   Correct information is valuable to all. We could do with more on this site. James.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.