UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Pikemanmark

hello my name is Mark

Hi All

My name is Mark and I live in Derbyshire. I am very new to bird keeping and have a house pet green Cheeked Conure and my step son has an African Grey,  and outside in the aviary I have 5 mountain parakeets, 2 pair and a spare cock (his hen died soon after getting them). I am thinking of adding a pair of plumb heads to the aviary.

I am looking forward to trying to breed the mountains and will be seeking any advice that may be about on what to do or not to do

I am happy to answer any questions of me but for now that's all folks.

Thank you

Mark

hi mark & welcome  mountain parakeets are not a species I'm familiar with so looked on web & found this

http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/biology-and-breeding-of-the-mountain-parakeet/

As for adding Plumb heads to the aviary  I would be cautious about doing so , especially if you intend breeding the Mountains , and would seek more advice before doing so

1 hour ago, stormbird said:

hi mark & welcome  mountain parakeets are not a species I'm familiar with so looked on web & found this

http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/biology-and-breeding-of-the-mountain-parakeet/

As for adding Plumb heads to the aviary  I would be cautious about doing so , especially if you intend breeding the Mountains , and would seek more advice before doing so

Hello Stormbird

Thank you for the advice I will check out the link you posted.

Kind regards

Mark

Welcome Mark. Nice to see you got on site. Can't help with the parakeets unfortunately, but hopefully others will be able to help you out with all your questions. Jan

Hi Mark, welcome to the site, 

do your parakeets all live and breed in the same aviary?

i was led to believe one pair per flight?

shaun

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Hi Mark, welcome to the site, 

do your parakeets all live and breed in the same aviary?

i was led to believe one pair per flight?

shaun

Hello Shaun

I have one aviary in the garden. I have 5 mountain parakeets in it they were in 3 pairs but 1 hen died flying into the side of a nest box within the first few days of having them. I now have 2 pairs and a single cock but they all roost close together. I have 4 nest boxes in the aviary but not yet checked how they are roosting in them or which are being used. I didn't want to disturb them too much. I have had them since September.

They are starting to come towards me when I visit in a morning to feed them and they don't fly away as much they seem to have calmed down quite well. At night they are all in the nest boxes but I haven't tried to see what ones yet I wonder should I? don't want to frighten them too much.

As for the plumb heads I would like to get a pair but not sure if I should put them in same aviary or build another .

Any advice would be great.

the term parakeet is confusing when it comes to keeping &  breeding as some species can be kept & bred in groups whilest others not . But size of  accomadation may also play it's part . I keep & have bred  Lineolated Parakeets which come from a related family to that which the Mountains come from . I've read of Linnies being bred as groups in aviaries but when I've had them in large cages they bicker & don't breed .

The same applies to Bourkes parakeets  which once were a member of the Neophema group of Grass parakeets .  They can  be bred in groups if large enough accomadation is provided, & they have even been housed with single pairs of Neophemas which do need to be bred as single pairs .

But then a word of caution in that some species are more hardy than others and even though a species may come from "hot " countries they may be able to cope with cold better than others , and that may even apply to sub species . Remember in some deserts temperature may vary from being very hot @ midday  to freezing @ midnight , but whilest there are species that can cope with such conditions they may  not  be able to cope with prolonged cold