UK Birdkeepers Message Board

unless your lucky or  can contact the Cape Dove breeding roup you'll be luck to get a  male .

Afraid I've not got their contact details but it used to be run from Paighton Zoo

Thanks. Ive found a guy in France who has them but got to do the whole form thing again lol.

It's good that you've found some

Let's hope you can get them breeding , which is easier said than done, or so I found when I kept them

31 minutes ago, kalel said:

What was the problem you were having? were they not laying eggs?

Although they got on well together I never even saw them mate ! I understand that was a common problem around the time I had them

oh shame. mine were mating and laying eggs but the chicks were dying in the eggs due to humidity problems.

1 hour ago, kalel said:

oh shame. mine were mating and laying eggs but the chicks were dying in the eggs due to humidity problems.

According to an article by Les Rance from the Parrot Soc. he apparrently managed to breed his in an outside aviary

the article  is here

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1tkn7/BirdScene/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yudu.com%2Fitem%2Fdetails%2F389446%2FBird-Scene

Edited by stormbird

Thanks for the info. I've had dealings with Les a few years back and got two males off him. His capes were all sick and another breeder in Wales bought one off him which spread the infection to all of his capes which died. So I'm not going to rely on the info too much lol. 

1 hour ago, kalel said:

Thanks for the info. I've had dealings with Les a few years back and got two males off him. His capes were all sick and another breeder in Wales bought one off him which spread the infection to all of his capes which died. So I'm not going to rely on the info too much lol. 

that's not good , but might explain some of the shortages