UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Essex Al

Newbie saying Hi

Hi All... I've just signed up as I'm starting out in the hobby and will be keen to learn from your experience along the way. Keen to keep some small, sociable and colourful foreign finches, but still deciding whether to start with a couple in a cage, or go for an aviary with a few different types. Lots to learn! Cheers. Al 

Hi and welcome

As your talking foreign finches a few pointers which might help   Many foriegn finches need heat in winter so if your thinking Aviaries you might need to factor in shelter for them depending onn what species your considering . But of course that would not be a problem if your thinking about an indoor aviary which some finch breeders use

As for using cages size of bird  Does not always  equate with cage size, as some Waxbill finches require bigger cages than say Bengalese or Zebra finches  . So perhaps some thought on what you intend to keep will help . And if you ask hopefully somebody will reply with advice

Thanks Stormbird... Yes I had factored in the need for covered shelter and an electricity supply for a heater if I decide to go for one outdoors. Initial thoughts are Gouldians, Stars, Cordon Bleu and Owl Finch - probably with some zebras... But still early stages, and I'm open to other suggestions 

3 minutes ago, Essex Al said:

Thanks Stormbird... Yes I had factored in the need for covered shelter and an electricity supply for a heater if I decide to go for one outdoors. Initial thoughts are Gouldians, Stars, Cordon Bleu and Owl Finch - probably with some zebras... But still early stages, and I'm open to other suggestions 

I'd be cautious about including Zebras with that mix as they can be bullies especially @ breeding time 

Hi Al. Welcome to feathered flyer. Thankyou for introducing yourself. Nice to see your getting the answers to some questions before taking the plunge. Best get it right first time as it can save on a lot of problems later on. Have to agree with Colin with the Zebra finches. Great for cage breeding or a little colony, but can prove troublesome in a mixed colony. Jan

Hi Al

welcome to the forum, I've not been active on line recently but 12 months ago I was at the same stage as yourself

dont be afraid to ask questions, 

Good luck

Rob

Edited by Rob2563

Cheers Rob, and Shaun for the welcome. I visited a local pet/bird shop today just to see what they had, and was really impressed with some of the other species that I hadn't seen before... Loved the red face parrotfinch, and the hecks grass Finch were quite handsome ;-)