UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Sunbird72

A Full Day Out

Hi, well just recovering from the Stafford day out. The coach left at 1pm, expecting to get home a bit earlier for a change, but all came to a stop on the M6 just before Carlisle the water pump on the coach blew, stranded for 2hours until 2 mini-buses came to the rescue, bit of a squeeze with all the bird boxes and equipment, arrived in Glasgow at 10pm and home at 10-30pm, by the time the car was unloaded, birds attended too, a cup of tea, got to bed at mid-night.When you think I left the house on Saturday night at 11-45pm, that makes it just over 24 hours on the go.  Got myself two nice pairs of Foreign Softbills, a pair of Pekin Robins, a Pair of Amethyst Starlings, a cock Cherryfinch and a trio of Chinese Painted Quail for the Grandkids , that made the journey worthwhile.  James.

Hi James.

Glad you enjoyed the day overall and got the Softbills you wanted. Grandad to the rescue with the Chinese Painted! Hope they all settle down to breed for you.

Regards

Mark.

James 

Did you get the softbills off the FSSUK  stand if so the pr of Pekins there were lovely and all the starlings on show were immaculate .

Very tempted by the Spreos there but funds had run out.

Hi cestrian,. The Pekins I got were from a FSSUK member, but they were pre-booked and went straight from his car to the coach, a DNA proven pair in top condition. The Amethysts I got from one of the traders, nice healthy pair, should get them into top feather in a few weeks, Generally good Softbills took a bit of seeking out, British Softbills were very thin on the ground, only seen a pair of Pied Wagtails,a Blackcap cock, a Rubythroat cock and I think a pair of Marsh Tits, and I was in very early.   James.

James ,had a much easier day than you, home to the Scottish Borders by 5 p.m. Delivered a Splendid Sunbird to Stafford to make up a pair. Came home with some Napoleon Weavers ( a local canary breeder has come to his senses and is now determined to breed some weavers and has persuaded me to get some as well ). Resisted the temptation to buy anything more exotic. Almost ended up with some Chinese Painted Quail but all sold by the time i made up my mind. Enjoyable day despite empty tables etc.

Those pied wagtails would have been nice to have James. We have only ever kept the grey wagtails but they were a pleasure in an aviary. That's a long day you had. It's why we take the caravan up on a Saturday. We sleep the night, up nice and early, stay Sunday night and usually have a nice traffic free journey. Jan