UK Birdkeepers Message Board

Hi, I am from South Derbyshire UK and have been keeping birds since early 2017. I have toyed with having an aviary for a few years and now I am loving it, I have built a cage and put it in my green house with a hatch into a planted flight outside. In the spring I want to convert half of the green house into a bird house and indoor flight to give them more room.

Apporx 4x6 ft inside + 3x8ft flight.

I keep Zebra Finches ( Normals, Whites, Fawns ) which I can't stop breeding :D

Begalese Finch and two male Canaries.

I am looking to keep Gouldians, Star Finches and owl finches at a later date.

Always willing to learn and accept any advice given.

Thanks

Simon

Welcome Simon 

glad you got sorted after mark messaged me 

I'm not too far away from yourself if and when you want to add different species 

enjoy 

Simon,

Welcome, I hope the site provides you the information you need, there is a lot of information on this site as it has been running a long time, just search with your key word(s) and you will be returned with a plethora of information, but please remember this is often just members opinions, and you will get pros and cons on each subject.

With regards to your greenhouse, I assume you will take the glass out and replace with something solid, or wire, otherwise it may just get too hot.

Hi Simon. Nice to have you with us on Feathered flyer. Zebra finches are a lovely bird and great to get the basics right before moving on to more challenging species. Jan

On 28/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, Dave85 said:

Welcome Simon 

glad you got sorted after mark messaged me 

I'm not too far away from yourself if and when you want to add different species 

enjoy 

Hi Dave

Yes thanks for that I couldn't get beyond the confirmation stage.

Cheers for the offer, i'll let you know when i've extended, it'll probably be in the spring now.

:)

On 28/10/2017 at 9:38 AM, jimmyb said:

Simon,

Welcome, I hope the site provides you the information you need, there is a lot of information on this site as it has been running a long time, just search with your key word(s) and you will be returned with a plethora of information, but please remember this is often just members opinions, and you will get pros and cons on each subject.

With regards to your greenhouse, I assume you will take the glass out and replace with something solid, or wire, otherwise it may just get too hot.

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the tips I've been having a look round the forum 

Yes this summer it got hot in there so I covered the roof with ply to keep the sun out while the birds were in the flight.

Early next year i will take the glass out and use the framework and attach shiplap to it and put a proper roof.

Its a 8x6 greenhouse so i'll apportion half of it for the indoor cage plus the outside flight so they'll have plenty of room and I can try other species then.

On 28/10/2017 at 3:24 PM, mrsprettyfinches2 said:

Hi Simon. Nice to have you with us on Feathered flyer. Zebra finches are a lovely bird and great to get the basics right before moving on to more challenging species. Jan

Hi Jan

Thanks for the welcome.

Love these little guys and yes i've got plenty to learn.

5 hours ago, maza said:

welcome simon

Thanks Maza  :)

Edited by Yalreet
Wrong Member