UK Birdkeepers Message Board

Anyone know any breeders of Red-Tailed or Chestnut-Tailed Minla? Looking for a pair for next season.

Sue

Apparently they're an OK bird to mix with Pekin Robins - one pair of each in an aviary. 

When we bred red tailed the breeding pair killed off the other Minlas in the flight when they went to nest. Very sociable outside breeding but I would worry about mixing with Pekins if either pair were to nest as fairly similar species and both can be territorial when breeding.

Thanks, for that kevwilts Good advice.

Still thinking about what to introduce next season. I like the look of Minlas and could separate them or Pekins into their own aviary during breeding season, so that may be what I need to plan for rather than trying to get three different species breeding in one space. I haven't had any problems with both Pekins and Bulbuls nesting in same flight, but that may be because they're different-enough in temperament and nest at different height levels.  

Planning to make my first trip to Zwolle in February for the birdmarket (http://www.volierevriend.nl/index.php?page=nieuw) so plenty of time to decide before then what I'm looking for! Suggestions welcome!!