UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Raccoons united

new member... kind of

Hi all, my name is Mark, located in South Wales. I've just rejoined (previously whydah_appeal) after a break from the hobby, family commitments work etc. Now my son is keen to start bird keeping and I need no encouragement! In the past I've kept:

• Zebra finches, (bred)
  • bengalese, (bred)
  • Java Sparrows, (bred)
  • Japanese, Californian, And chinese painted quail,
  • Red headed buntings
  • Ringneck parakeets
  • Golden song sparrows (bred I think I even wrote a breeding plan for this site)
  • Diamond Doves (bred)
  • Budgies (bred)
  • Celestial parrotlets (bred)
  • Strawberry finches
  • Kakarikis
  • Splendid parakeets (bred)
  • Red rumps
  • Bourkes parakeets (bred)
  • Bicheno
  • canaries
  • Cockatiels (bred)
  • Lovebirds (bred)
  • Red cheeked cordon bleu
  • Goldbreasts (bred)
  • Green singing finches
  • bib finch
  • spice finch
  • elegant parakeets
  • mealy rosella
  • rufus backed manikkins
  • Hooded Parrots
  • Gouldian finches
  • Paradise whydah

What are we hoping to keep? if anyone in the south Wales area has any pairs of the following please let me know

• Cape Doves
  • Gouldian finches
  • green singers
  • spice finches
  • bib finch

Finally thanks to Dave85 for authorizing me 

Hi  and welcome

With the exception of the Cape Doves most of thebirdsshould be obtainable .

There are I hope still a few breeding them & there was /is a breeding group trying to increase numbers of them , but there few if any regulary for sale

Hi Mark,

Welcome back, nice to read that your son is also interested in keeping and breeding birds and the list of birds you have kept and bred before is interesting. I vaguely remember an article on Song Sparrows and i still have a couple of pairs after breeding these for several years.

There are still a few other active members in the South Wales area that keep the birds you are planning to purchase. Might be worth sending Daz a pm.

Have you set up a bird room or outdoor flight or some of both?

atb

Mark.

Hi mark, yes just noticed daz was still active, haven't seen him for years! I'm planning on using a heavily planted area of the garden as a flight, there is a convenient shed next to it in which I'm going to build a small indoor enclosure, insulated and heatedfor exitics, I've had a few ideas over the years I've been away, just hoping I can implement them! 

Sounds good, keep us posted on your progress. Maybe even a few photo's?

Welcome back mark 

glad we got you sorted fingers crossed in your endeavours and hopefully members can help you with birds. 

Bib finches are thin on the ground and a good £150 a pair if found sadly 

Welcome back Mark.  Nice selection you have kept in the past. Nice to see your starting again and your Son as well. You will find the Zebra doves for sale occasionally but Bib finches are a very rare find now. Jan

Hi all, thanks for your comments :rolleyes: I'm beginning to realise the landscape has changed somewhat in the last 7 or 8 years! I guess I'll just get the flight up and hope to hit the Stafford spring show! I'm also just realising how many birds I missed off the list :D

Wow! That's quite a list of birds! Noticed you've picked four from your 'past' list to try again (bib, spice, green, gouldian) - and ones you didn't breed first time around?? If so, good on you for having another go and really hope you find your pairs.

@SueG well spotted ;) yes there are always a couple of species that frustrate, the bibs laid but we're infertile, the gouldians made nests, the green singers made a nest and the spice finches had 3 chicks close to fledging and abandoned them! As for the cape doves they were always the birds I wanted but could never seem to find, I've heard it may be even harder now!