15 posts in this topic

Sexado de aves has kindly agreed to sponsor Feathered Flyer again this year. These are a dna sexing company who has earned a reputation for being just about the cheapest around. For more info, please click the banner which appears on the main page or the link below. Thankyou. Jan

http://www.sexadodeaves.com/tienda/en/

Jan, that is good news for the site.

Thanks Jimmy, Paul. Hopefully get a few more now to help secure the site future for good. Jan

that is a good sponsor to have jan well done

Thankyou Blanket. Need a few more now to keep the site funds secure. Jan

Can anyone explained the procedure for dna analysis I understand that it's a feather / feathers that need to be sent ?

Craig 

51 minutes ago, CJW said:

Can anyone explained the procedure for dna analysis I understand that it's a feather / feathers that need to be sent ?

Craig 

there are 2 standard methods used for DNA detection

1) Blood  usually obtained by clipping a claw short so that the blod supply is breached . A drop is then put onto an absorbant paper/cards which are the put into a plastic bag

2)  Feathers  these are normally taken from the breast , although if there is a problem I take some from the rump . Also if there is a question about getting a DNA sample I also check with a hand lens . Feathers quills with no DNA  will taper to the tip , but those with DNA material will have a slight swelling just before the tip . The feathers should be handled carefully to avoid contamination & put into  a plastic sample bag  ( 1 per bird )

Some firms use both methods others 1 . & I'm not sure which Sexado use  but you need to contact them for sample kits 

Thanks for reply will be getting my goldfinches done are the end of the year to make sure I have 100% pairs 

Craig 

With Sexado you print off forms to which you apply blood or add feathers. Most important of all is avoiding cross contaminating. They did tell me that blood samples are better due to feathers not always having the needed DNA as Colin brought out. Jan

I post mine standard class, and the site indicates when the sample has been received, mine normally take no more than 3 days.