johne.ev

New Member In Suffolk.

29 posts in this topic

welcome john

interesting experiences, I hope we hear more about them

what sort of fish you keeping?

Hello Dave, thanks for the welcome.

Keeping fish from lake Tanganyika, in a four foot tank. Cichlids include an F1 pair of Neolamprologus helianthus Kapampa, one Altolamprologus calvus "black pearl" & a single Neolamprologus brevis. Also have what I'm hoping turn out to be a pair, of Synodontis perticola catfish & a few Tanganyikan killifish.

In six foot tank I'm keeping fish from South America, Cichlids include, Heros efasciatus 'Rio Arapuins' (Rio Tapajos tributary), F1 fish, 2m 1f I believe. Heros notatus, a pair also I believe from watching their behaviour. Group of six (small atm) Geophagus Tapajos red heads. Pair of Corydoras sterbai, actually watched these spawning, but other fish were eating the eggs. I need to provide lots more cover really. Couple of other corydoras species, a small Crenicichla compressiceps (dwarf species of SA pike cichlid) & a few bristlenose plecs.

You keep fish Dave?

Yes and have done for a few years now

Not as long as birds mind

I have a 5 x 1.5 x 2 ft tropical tank

With discus, geophagus altifron, geophagus megasema, santoperca Lilith, blackghost knifefish, various l number plecs and clown loach

Also keep a small marine reef tank

Yeah not commonly seen, got a pair but the female has had a bit of roughing by her mate and my breeding pair of guinacara daryca (that I'm looking to move on)

Yeah Dave, the aggression is a shame & an unfortunate hazard of keeping cichlids, but they are by far the most interesting fish to keep imo.

Agreed

So looking at thinning the tank out

Santoperca leucosticta X1 6-7inch

Pair bandits (breeding) adult size

And maybe another 12 inch black ghost knife (did have 3) but they now jostle for territory

Are you moving those on Dave?

Must admit I have often found it quite difficult moving on fish. Even a few years ago when I used to be really into keeping/breeding central American cichlids. Even trying to sell on quite rare fish was a struggle a lot of the time.

Yes I am John, why you want them? Lol

All the fish were added at 1.5-2inch and now there maturing are competeing for space, so removing a few hopefully will calm the tank I hope.

What will remain is as follows -

4 discus

2 geophagus megasema

3 geophagus altifron

2 santoperca Lilith

1 14 inch black ghost knife

2 pairs Bristlenose (1 standard, 1 albino)

1 l200 green phantom

1 l128 blue phantom

1 l114 leopard cactus

1 l134 leopard frog (may move on)

2 l104 clowns

6 clown loach

Ha ha! Be tempted if I were nearer you perhaps, but tbh Dave the stock I have now will be enough for my six foot tank, especially when the geos grow up to adult hood.

All the fish were added at 1.5-2inch and now there maturing are competeing for space, so removing a few hopefully will calm the tank I hope.

What will remain is as follows -

4 discus

2 geophagus megasema

3 geophagus altifron

2 santoperca Lilith

1 14 inch black ghost knife

2 pairs Bristlenose (1 standard, 1 albino)

1 l200 green phantom

1 l128 blue phantom

1 l114 leopard cactus

1 l134 leopard frog (may move on)

2 l104 clowns

6 clown loach

Hopefully... fingers crossed, but I have occasionally found the opposite & when you remove a few fish the hierarchy in the tank, completely changes.

Good luck mate, hope things settle down.

Well they are still quite small atm Dave, around the 30mm mark, but if & when I need to thin them out I shall keep you in mind mate. ;)

On 06/11/2016 at 2:58 PM, johne.ev said:

Hi all.

My names john, originally from London, but been living in Suffolk for thirteen years now.

Not kept birds for over thirty years. When i was in my late teens we had two Indian hill mynah birds, they were quite common then, but seem to be very rare now & expensive too, when you can find them.

I currently keep two large tropical fish tanks in my fully insulated/converted garage, which measures 12 x 8 x 8 foot high. In the past I have kept & bred all sorts of reptiles & amphibians, from dwarf monitors lizards & chameleons to poison dart frogs. I am in the process of building a 6 x 2 x 6 indoor aviary in there as well, with the intention of getting a couple of pairs of finches. I like all sorts of birds, but Gouldian, Bicheno &/or blue gap cordon bleus are what I would like to keep most atm. Will post again in the beginners section, as I do have a couple of questions I would like advice on.

Try the Norfolk & Suffolk Australian Finch Society. Very helpful and are based not to far from.