UK Birdkeepers Message Board

Hope you've all had a good day

Thanks for the continued support nice to see a few I've not seen in a good while and some new.

Got a few nice birds too

Now here's looking forward to the next one

If I'm honest from a finch and waxbill keeper point of view, one of the worst Stafford's I've been to. Some really poor quality birds for sale. Everyone talks about Stafford being the best but Newark showground as been head and shoulders above for a couple of years now.

Seemed to be alot more British on offer very few waxbills and no grey/ green singers anywhere , saying that i had pre ordered a pr of grey singers off a member on here and very pleased with them,

Must have been the first Staffs i have been too and never bumped into Dave85 in fact didnt see FF section .

Good to meet you Dave, never knew you were just a boy. :D Also second in command Jan, great birds thankyou, a few other members on here and my old mate Barry,Robinsnest :) . All sold up by 10.30 and back on the road home by 11.30, apparently missed Colin Stormbird by a couple of minutes.

Glad its only once a year for us, to stressful for me. :D

Certainly heaven for a canary fancier ,never seen as many under one roof .

Didn't get there until turned 10 so may not have seen all the birds for sale ,but from what I saw , not many foreign finches around .

Got to show in one and a half hrs , home in over three with horrendous traffic jams on m6 north .

On a plus I got everything I wanted seed wise and more ,so not the end of the world .

May have to have a clear out and start on canaries

Jon.

Had a good day and picked up the birds I wanted and more.

But I was surprised at the lack of Finches and Waxbills available to choose from. Like you say Jon there was plenty of Canaries.

Jonny

Wasn't surprised with lack of foreign to be honest with new ruling.

Thanks all, finally met you Paul haha not that young anymore

Funny you should say that graham, did think I haven't seen you. Didn't help depending what time you came on balcony, that some canary boys decided it was ok to steal tables about 8am before I even got chance to setup and all that the parrot society did was take there number and give me a single table I had to carry over and make fit. Also they decided to stick us where they did after agreeing our normal spot.

Thanks Barry, thanks for great birds Jon & mark

Thanks sue for helping with table, shame no other ff members booked with us and we was surrounded by canaries.

Hope everyone's made it home safe with their birds

I went with nothing to collect or thoughts of buying but I think that's my last October I will stick with March

I spent my time wandering around having a good look but there seemed to be just lots of trade stands and parrot like birds

I thought it was terrible were they put feathered flyer and the wfs on the balcony which was over crowded

My impressions parrot society don't want us there

Nice to see a few people Jan and Mark, Dave,Gerhard and Claudia, Earl and Mark Dancer the list goes on

But over all very disappointed with the day

Roll on March always a great event

Having been quite concerned about where the PS had put us, I actually liked the position on the balcony that we had. Good light, wide corridor, and a wall behind the birds so no chance of anyone knocking over (or running off with) a cage. :angry:

Probably wouldn't work if there'd been more FF members but for me it was good position - and I'd sold up everything bar a few odd cock birds by 11am, so home to settle my new Bulbuls by 1pm (thanks Simon Mills for the birds and Colin, as always, for the advice). I agree about the lack of waxbills tho' - might explain why the few I'd brought went so quickly, even the unsexed youngsters! I think the new rules would put people off, I'd been worried about bringing song sparrows but all of mine were pre-sold so didn't have any on the stand. Not that I noticed any "inspectors"...

I did think that the show wasn't far off needing to take on bouncers tho' - there seemed to be even more trouble than previous years with theft and just general hassling of stall holders from dodgy types. One reason I now leave at lunchtime, is because I can't stand all those afternoon chancers that turn up trying to barter and hassle you. :angry:

Other than that, a good day for me but then I wasn't looking to buy birds other than the one pair. Will be interesting to see how the Spring show goes.

Edited by SueG

my first visit there and thanks to cjw / craig from here on ff, and his uncle i got three lovely pairs of mosaic canarys, and also three wooden boxes made by his uncle now that is what i call being brilliant,to have someone help someone new to this hobby, so a big thank you craig, charlie

my first visit there and thanks to cjw / craig from here on ff, and his uncle i got three lovely pairs of mosaic canarys, and also three wooden boxes made by his uncle now that is what i call being brilliant,to have someone help someone new to this hobby, so a big thank you craig, charlie

No problem Charlie

Craig