UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Dave85

Stafford July 2016

Anyone go today?

I attended nice to see familiar faces as always

Sold a few

Purchased far less came back with 2 hen gouldians, pair Cubans and a cock bengalese. The latter 2 from members of feathered flyer, so pleased with all I got. Plus got all the usual dry goods.

The show wasn't too bad but selection was limited, definately not doing themselves any favours implementing this new rule. A lot of nice Aussies on sale but very very few foreign finches, softbills or waxbills at all.

Came back with some Forbes Parrot Finches but it was pretty rubbish. Only the main hall in use, nothing on the balcony or along the back of the main hall and the middle of the main hall was just fresh air too. Could probably have housed the whole thing in one of the side halls.

The new rules seem a bit confusing and it must've put a lot of people off going, but there were several traders there so it certainly hasn't stopped that side of it, if that was the point in the first place.

it was quite a poor show, most had packed up or starting to by 1pm, as others said, very little on the waxbill/softbill side of things - although i suspect at least one dealer had them in his car. got a few new wfs members sot hats good.

My company were there with dry goods and I don't think when I take the diesel and the stand out we have even covered staff costs, at least two other dry goods sellers are in the same boat, I do wonder how long they can keep this summer show going if the non bird traders pull out?

My company were there with dry goods and I don't think when I take the diesel and the stand out we have even covered staff costs, at least two other dry goods sellers are in the same boat, I do wonder how long they can keep this summer show going if the non bird traders pull out?

I told them last summer that some traders were muttering , but maybe a group of you need to tell them direct ?

Sorry to hear that Andy

Maybe hitting them where it hurts will make them make better judgement

Didn't go myself but one of Marks mates picked up some diamond firetails for me. He said it was a load of rubbish. He knows quite a few dealers and a few were there., so it hasn't worked stopping all of them. Unfortunately it probably stopped genuine breeders of waxbills etc from going. The only pair of birds he brought back wasn't even from the sale but picked up elsewhere on the way home. A stunning pair of hanging parrots. Didn't realise how nice a bird they were or how small. One thing for sure is that I know now that it isn't worth joining the parrot society for early tickets as July and no doubts December will be wasted journeys. A table in October to sell surplus birds will get me the early entry there. Big kick in the teeth for them this show. I'm sure future July shows will be worse still.

We're some really nice diamonds about Jan

Seen Barry's and his were crackers, so you got good birds

Was it vernal hangers by any chance Jan? Seen a pair on birdtrek few weeks back

Seen my first one at a sale in along time today, a single blue crowned smaller than you expect but look at their best planted flight like they have at Chester

Maybe one day if I ever get the chance do like them the hanging parrots that is

Good old Noah is alive and well then ;)

I took up 24 Gouldians and they were all gone by 11.20am. Sold like hotcakes so I'm happy with that. And I was really pleased with the comments I got about the quality of my birds. Makes it worth while to know that all the hard work I put into them shows. And thank you to those who dropped by to say hello. Managed to put a couple of faces to names :)

Was very quiet and unfortunalty two people really pissed me off

Firstly some dealer named Chris/kris sold a newbie parrotlet starter a green rumped hen as a cock! So husband and my good friend IAN went over and demanded they give him his money back

Secondly we sold some linnies to a woman called Rachy. We sold her our Linnie babies.... We later saw her selling on as pairs ( these birds were all around 12 weeks old and siblings! She didn't sell them as they were totally over priced for greens £60 a pair ( we sold £15 each).

It really dissapointed me how dishonest people can be!

Apart from that I was super busy considering how quiet it was.... But Jack came and was on one! Just ask Dave lol

Yeah hayley you sure did have plenty of time to breathe this time lol

Jack was great, needs a pack of bird filled activities next time and more budgies lol or banners saying 'get your parrotlets here' lol

Paul, whereabouts were you as did speak to a few gouldian sellers and you may have been one of them?

Thanks matt lol