UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Dave85

How Did You Find This Years Event?

On a personal level

Was great to see old and a couple of new faces

It's great they hold the show but!! For their biggest event I'm a bit disappointed seemed to lack organisation in how stands and society's were laid out. The lighting was awful in places.

Overall having a table and selling wasn't great for a lot I spoke too, which is a shame considering the costs for it.

Did get some nice birds :)

thanks

Paul connett for pair pearl headed Silverbills

Martin Turley for pair pearl headed Silverbills

Jason & son for the white headed nuns

Also picked up a nice green pied parrotlet hen and 2 budgie cocks ( dark green & skyblue spangle)

Came home with 80% of my for sale birds which was disheartening!

Good old Noah adding to his boat still :rolleyes: i heard selling was a little on the slow side, i sold quickly but then again i only brought 2 that weren't pre-ordered, my friend ended up swopping his softbills rather than selling

Dave, agree with you in terms of the layout and lighting - saw people with torches inspecting the birds because it was so dark.

Sounds like you got all the Pearl Headed Silverbills, I only saw 1 pr for sale and they were 2012 birds so didn't go for them.

Did get an odd cock Timor and some young CB Mannikins to outcross to ours so chuffed with them.

We had some success on the show benches, class wins with AFS, colour awards with the NBFA and the kids did well with the WFS taking best junior and 2nd best Overall CYB, so enough prize money to cover the luxury of a trip on the Toll Road back home!

Content with the sales, but considering the amount of people their expected them all to go. Luckily only fetched 3 pair home.

Lee

I agree regarding the lighting, or rather lack of it, in places!

There was an excellent selection of parrots at any rate... and I couldn't buy any of them because I'm going to be moving house next year. It's a good job I didn't take much money or I would have come home with at least one pair of Meyer's parrots. I would have loved to have snapped up the grey headed parrot too :(

It was nice to catch up with people and I got to see my first turquoise parrotlets at the parrotlet interest group stand. Anyone fancy getting me a pair for Christmas? :D

Bit disappointed to be honest, thought the organisation and lighting was very poor. Also the state of a lot of the birds for sale was poor, how can people have a price tag on a dieing bird in the corner of a cage. Come on people it's not Just about the money

A little disappointed being so far back in the annex but really enjoyed the day we didn't get many ff members coming to visit us today which was a shame plenty of cakes on offer plus coffee

Massive thank you to

Jan and Mark (Mrs prettyfinches2) for the huge plate of welshcakes and the kettle

Also Dazzer brought lots of sticky cakes

And Mike1 also brought more lovely cakes

Dave85 worked hard again running the auction which is only possible because of the generosity of the members donating

Thank you all

I always enjoy the October show but you're right the lighing at the far end of the balcony was gloomy and the queue for the cafe was virtually static.

Some nice Bullfinches & cracking violet splendid parakeets but I wasn't buying birds today.

Trade stands were good I bought plenty of hardware including a heated hospital cage for my more senior birds (just in case).

Who lost the Budgie I saw flying around the main hall ?

From a trade point of view we were really busy and more or less sold out so good there, was buying birds for other people and found the lack of lighting a real pain as I just couldnt see the rings on a lot of birds. Really chuffed with the linnies form Dave and some of the other bits

Plenty of money about, the pair of hyacinths up for £22 grand went quickly for £20 grand paid in cash, which of you has them I would like to know!

Edited by Andyf

fab day got some lovely birds thank you to sellers ,,I am totally jiggered though lovely to see you all n ta for coffee and scrummy cakes ,,xxxx

My boats not even half full young Matthew :P

Will leave you behind though haha

While discussing the day, how many members managed to find myself, Paul and Dazzer? My list includes who I met or spoke to during the day sorry if I miss anyone.

Bakewell

Mr bakewell

Shaun

Andyf

Arby

Joshlake

Prion

Eamsutt

Mike1

Marsha & Krissy

Mkp

Bixtrix

Mickmca

Cestrian

Hawks

Pj

Mrsprettyfinches

Mr m

Jugglerjeff

Cjw

Phillyb

Robinsnest

Twolegs2

Moos

Tomtit

Waxbillman

M Turley

Jason's birds

Mally

SueG

Stormbird

Mark thomas

Gareth

Oh to have 20 grand in my ass pocket now i would have bought most of the softbills on the Foreign Softbill display quite stunning .

My daughter got married last weekend so funds were very limited as you can imagine , so i had to look and not have this time but did get a cracking hen StHelena off a member on here .

I also got speaking to a nice Gloster breeder who had some show quality birds , a bought a pair off him and as i was leaving him he called me back and gave me another pair for free of equal quality .Top man gave me his number and said call anytime for advice etc - thats how it should be . Good day .

It was good to meet most of the administrators at last, thanks for making me welcome. Also thanks to Jan and Mark for the coffee and cakes. Got 2 pairs of Blue Faced Parrot Finches so well pleased.

For the first time ever over the years ( and that's saying something ) I came away with what I wanted. And another roll of mesh. Rock on :laugh:

A massive, massive thanks to Paul and Liz. Absolutely chuffed to bits.

Krissy,Dave and Steve, thank you !

Great to meet friends again and chat, bit of banter - it really is great !

Yes, shame we were on the outskirts, but there was a socket :laugh:

Thanks again to everyone who got involved in the auction and Dave who makes it look easy !

Hope everyone got (gets) home safe and well.

Dazzer

From a trade point of view we were really busy and more or less sold out so good there, was buying birds for other people and found the lack of lighting a real pain as I just couldnt see the rings on a lot of birds. Really chuffed with the linnies form Dave and some of the other bits

Plenty of money about, the pair of hyacinths up for £22 grand went quickly for £20 grand paid in cash, which of you has them I would like to know!

Hmm! I did try and find which stand you was on Andy but I struggled to know which it was , as some stands had placards for the products they sell but not their names !

But I did get to meet a few folk including Dazzer , got a few birds of Gareth , had a chat with Jan & Mark , Hayley & Toby , & said hi to Dave a couple of times . Chatted to Dawnchesh who told me she'd struggled to find the FF section . Oh & I saw juggler jeff but he was busy chatting & I was rushing to get round & back to the FSSUK stand

Edited by stormbird

Had a good day tbh managed to sell all the birds I took, hope your happy with the pearl heads Dave hope they do well for you and hope the st helena does well for you graham, bought a cracking pair of blue caps and a cracking pair of Sydney waxbills, as to the lighting I thought it bloomin awful how are you expected to see the quality of the birds if you can't even see them? Chuffed to meet up with so many people and say hi,my daughter really enjoyed herself too think she wanted every bird in there lol bless her.