UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

Spring Competition Time

The competition Starts today and ends 15/02/15

The winner will be contacted at the end of the competition where I will need a postal address. The item can only be posted to UK Mainland if the winner is outside the UK Mainland they can arrange to have it posted to a friend, or it can be collected from the Feathered Flyer stand at the forth coming Stafford Spring Bird show on 1st March 2015

Please show your support by joining in and we will continue these competitions with more great prizes.

Rules are pinned above.

I have available a brand new egg torch from SUPABLEND - one of the site sponsors

To be in with a chance of winning this prize we would like to see a photo from 'years gone by' with a discription of why the picture is important to you

egg-torch-on-front-view-150x150_zps0efc8[/url] imagejpg1_zpsc4ed04ab.jpg

image_zps350e7e11.jpg

here is my entry, Melton Mowbray Queen of the Shires show

This picture taken when I was around 12 or 13, image_zps04b82bc9.jpg

the following year the same bird did more winning, however, sadly I never managed to produce any youngsters from him.

I have now been keeping budgies for around 40 years and still enjoy them as much now as before.

Exhibition birds have sure moved on, although the numbers shown seem to be sadly declining shaun-smith-win-1_zps0782473e.jpg

I haven't got any old photographs of me with birds, the best I can do is this one of me hanging around the tropical house at Raymond Sawyers when I worked there. :ph34r:

20150120_074537_zps81a8e1ba.jpg

Very rude comments Kev :mellow:

Never met you myself but its pretty obvious which one your are ;)

You certainly were an armful. :unsure::o:D

The old Iguana was a real character. Just noticed the comp is an old photo and didn't have to feature my image for ridicule.

Edited by kevwilts

Yes Kev,

picture can be of anything from the past related to birdkeeping and of a special interest to you

Shaun

A small group of Apostle Birds, so named because they are usually found in family groups of 12 or more, but locally called ‘Happy Jacks’ that came into camp every morning.

20091007_Happy%20Jacks%202_zpsyxq9ofxo.j

This was taken in the gem fields of central Queensland where I was fortunate enough to be taken to dig for sapphires some 15 years ago. We dug a seam which was estimated to have been laid down some 40+ million years ago and it was like digging concrete! It was a wonderful experience not one experienced by many Brits and will remain with me forever. What an adventure. Everything we needed we had to take in with us, you’ve heard the expression in the middle of nowhere, well that’s where we were.

Gems3_zpshmgr74dp.jpg

I should have added:

This is the result, a few small stones cut for me by a prospector who lived in the gem fields and I also have some, as yet, uncut stones.

Yes Paul, we had a license from the Queensland government called a fosiker's licence which entitled us to dig and keep anythng we found. But I must tell you that since the early 1800's the whole area for thousands and thousands of square killometers had been dug and re dug so anything you find is a bonus. Here's another pic of regular visitors to our camp, The caption might well read ' This must be XXXX it's crap! These birds were drinking from one of our gravel washing drums.

XXXX_zpsjvolop6k.jpg