UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Bone

January Competition - Chat

Sean,Just how big is this garden of yours, or do you live in a bird sanctuary, By the way I also use picasa and for a free program it is very good.

mal

I live in the sticks Mal and turn my garden into a bird sanctuary. I try and offer everything I can for them, by the way this Tawny before I finished it :P:D

DSC00872-1.jpg

Yeah it's amazing what you can do with Play-doe!!?!

Love the pics of the tree sparrows - years ago we had about 10 or 12 home made nest boxes dotted about the garden and fields where we lived. Most of them got used year after year (usually by blue and great tits) A couple of them never got used for 6 or 7 years. One year I decided to move one of them to a different tree (pear trees in an orchard) when I went to check them I found the one that I had moved was stuffed full of dried grass, literally to the top. I though it must be mice so parted the grass to look in side - and found a clutch of 5 or 6 fully feathered Tree Sparrow chicks!! This was the one and only time I ever found a nest, and never in 20 years had ever even seen Tree Sparrows about!! So amazing to see you had a colony of them on your house!! :)

Yeah it's amazing what you can do with Play-doe!!?!

Love the pics of the tree sparrows - years ago we had about 10 or 12 home made nest boxes dotted about the garden and fields where we lived. Most of them got used year after year (usually by blue and great tits) A couple of them never got used for 6 or 7 years. One year I decided to move one of them to a different tree (pear trees in an orchard) when I went to check them I found the one that I had moved was stuffed full of dried grass, literally to the top. I though it must be mice so parted the grass to look in side - and found a clutch of 5 or 6 fully feathered Tree Sparrow chicks!! This was the one and only time I ever found a nest, and never in 20 years had ever even seen Tree Sparrows about!! So amazing to see you had a colony of them on your house!! :)

we had about 30 at one time and my god did it cost me a fortune in sun flower hearts, they used most of the nest boxes I put up and even built dome nests in my hawthorn hedge, they don't half fill the boxes don't they. here they are nest building, house sparrows too.

DSC02012.jpg

Edited by Sean D

That's very interesting Sean - so the house sparrows don't turf out the tree sparrows then?? What part if the country was this in?

When I was in Hong Kong years ago the tree sparrows used to be everywhere, dozens of them in any scrap of green space right in the centre of the city!!

Malky watch the picasa program. I don't know if it's the same now but when I used it a few years ago, I had reason to delete it and re download. Guess what? It took all my pictures with it and I never recovered them so back up every picture on picasa to be safe. By the way what a good idea to split the competition from comments, some super pictures on here....!

This tawny was also taken in my garden

:DDSC02162.jpg

Was going to say Sean, you have a very small garden with that shadow at the back of the owl :P:P:P:P

Then i read on :unsure::D

Nice work mate.

Malky watch the picasa program. I don't know if it's the same now but when I used it a few years ago, I had reason to delete it and re download. Guess what? It took all my pictures with it and I never recovered them so back up every picture on picasa to be safe. By the way what a good idea to split the competition from comments, some super pictures on here....!

Hello Richard, I also have been using Picasa for several years and the program only copies the photographs and puts them in order it can only delete them if you press the appropriate button, On my laptop i have my photographs on picasa and Pictures.if i delete of picasa i still have the original in pictures,

mal

Hello Richard, I also have been using Picasa for several years and the program only copies the photographs and puts them in order it can only delete them if you press the appropriate button, On my laptop i have my photographs on picasa and Pictures.if i delete of picasa i still have the original in pictures,

mal

Mines exactly the same Mal, it saves the originals to my pictures and Picassa only has a copy.

That's very interesting Sean - so the house sparrows don't turf out the tree sparrows then?? What part if the country was this in?

When I was in Hong Kong years ago the tree sparrows used to be everywhere, dozens of them in any scrap of green space right in the centre of the city!!

I'm in Lincolnshire Keith, we get lots of people come to watch our tree sparrows. the house and tree sparrows got along fine, a great tit nested in one of the compartments one year, it raised one clutch and then a tree sparrow took over and raised a clutch.

They used to double clutch every year.

Was going to say Sean, you have a very small garden with that shadow at the back of the owl :P:P:P:P

Then i read on :unsure::D

Nice work mate.

Mines exactly the same Mal, it saves the originals to my pictures and Picassa only has a copy.

I also use a photography site where this came up some on there swore Picassa was taking over, a very knowledgeable lady explained how to set it up without any problems, If you name each file they should be easy to find. Oh and very unfair to cheat with the fungus :P once bitten soon infected or something like that. :D

mal

The trap is set for robin pics Mal, I started feeding boiled egg today and they can't resist it so hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow.

And all for a tenner :o:o might have a go myself :o but then if people are taking it serious :( I don't stand a chance :D

mal