UK Birdkeepers Message Board
Bone

New Members Please Read

Welcome tka

Hope you find the information you need here

May I suggest posting questions you have in beginners section also give the the parrotlet interest group a read and hope hayley (bakewell) sees your posts and helps you with more information regarding parrotlets.

Is it a pet bird your looking at?

Thanks for the welcome Dave. I joined the forum because of the parrotlet interest group section and I wanted to get some info on British lines of parrotlets rather than American.

Currently looking at a pet bird but when I kept rats I was very interested in the fancy, particularly husbandry and genetics.

Thanks for the welcome Dave. I joined the forum because of the parrotlet interest group section and I wanted to get some info on British lines of parrotlets rather than American.

Currently looking at a pet bird but when I kept rats I was very interested in the fancy, particularly husbandry and genetics.

Hi and welcome . Not sure what you mean by "British lines of Parrotlets but as Dave suggests perhaps you should start some new topics so this can be discussed , Incidentallythere are several species of Parrotlet each with their own mutations . Also many of the mutations in the UK came either from the US or more recently the Continent where several of Hayley's Special interest group reside

As pets it is only quite recent that in the UK their popularity has started to grow, but in the US they have been popular for quite some time .

I've been lurking on a US (pet) bird forum and there are lots of posts about aggressive parrotlets - obviously people tend to post if they're having problems rather than if everything's fine, but I'm curious because the UK breeder sites I've read suggest that they make excellent pets whereas the US forum suggests that they're for the experienced keeper. I've heard that spectacled can be a bit gentler than celestials, and that hand-raised birds are most prone to issues. So yeah, one of the things I want to know more about is whether this is a difference in lines or the way young birds are raised.

Got to admit that part of my interest is because my partner didn't grow up with animals so is nervous of all of them. I'm not expecting her to have much contact with a potential parrotlet but I'm pretty sure she'll veto a flying biting thing on principle!

Welcome tka. Super site for all a bird keepers advice. Hayley will probably soon see your post and offer all the help you need. In the mean time, as your now a full member and to make sure Hayley does see's you, I would make a post in the beginners section. Hope you enjoy the site.

Welcome to the forum TKA! Parrotlets great choice! Am I being biest ... Maybe. Parrotlets make interesting pets.... They are so intelligent but very nippy so a future needs to be aware of this trait. they are species who explore and communicat with their beak. Also it's good not to expect a fluffy super tame pet. But what they lack in 'affection' they make up for with their intelligence ( did you know the spectacled parrotlet ranks in the top three most intelligent parrots?!) I've tamed down babies and I really enjoy it but it's a challange even hand reared need continuous work. But once the bond it trusted and gained its an amazing one. I personally love to breed them... And welfare is important to me. I love the possible colours you will get ( and if you understand genetics you will know what to expect) . I've created an information website www.parrotletsuk.com but any questions fire away X X X X X x

Thanks so much for the welcome everyone! I especially like animals that you have to negotiate a relationship with and I'm intrigued about the kind of bond you can have with a parrot. Are pet parrotlet breeders usually happy to meet prospective owners and let them handle the birds? I've never handled small birds so want to know more about what I'm getting into before I make any decisions.

It totally depends on the breeder to be honest. For example I'd like to make a bond before I let anyone in my house but I'm quiet a reserved person anyway when it comes to my home. like I'm always put off when someone's after a bird and one of the first things they say is what's your post code. I like to build a rapore and get talking to someone first... If this makes sence. Some breeders are more open and others you will never get an invite. My number is in my signature link below under contacts or breeder register. But don't phone this evening wales are playing and I'll be pre occupied! Hehe X X X there are a few breeders your way but I do t think any tame. There is a guy called Stefano Salles in south London and he's amazing! Worth the travel. Xx

Totally understand - I wouldn't let just anyone into my house either! I'm in no hurry to buy and really just trying to inform myself - hate it when people don't do their research and then six months later are saying "oh, we didn't realise this animal would do [perfectly normal behaviour for that animal] and we can't deal with it".

Ended up getting chucked in the deep end with a robin fledgling - had to move it from my parents' dogs, kept an eye on it then caught it the next morning when it was still very much on its own and cold. Warmed it up, fed it with tweezers and passed it onto a more experienced wildlife rescuer when I realised that it wasn't moving one of its legs properly. Sadly it didn't make it, but was a lovely little thing and has made me even more interested in birds.

Your doing the right thing Hun, only a pjphone call away if you ever want to talk parrotlets X x